A Little History
The Broadhembury Memorial Hall was for many years run as a charity (No 1000283), originally formed under a deed of gift on 30th October 1920 which provided land for a Hall for the benefit of the parishioners of Broadhembury.
In 1952 the ‘Deed of Gift’ was revised by the Declaration of Trust which was further updated on 29th November 2012 to our current ‘Deed of Trust’, which has since been approved by the Charity Commission. The Broadhembury Parish Council are the ‘Custodian Trustees’. Section 3 of the ‘Deed of Trust’ states the Charity’s Objects:
“The Property and the Trust Fund and its income shall be applied for the purposes of a village hall for the use of the inhabitants of the Parish of Broadhembury without distinction of sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, nationality, race or political, religious or other opinions, including use of the Property for meetings, lectures, and classes or other forms of recreation and leisure time occupation in the interests of social welfare and with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants”.
To meet these objects our organisation is run by a management committee of volunteers who are also the Trustees of the Charity and oversee the running of the village hall to meet the needs of the community. This includes providing access to a range of activities, classes, events, meetings, events and public functions.
We provided the broadest range possible but this was greatly limited due to the previous condition of the building. It was time for a change.