This page is being updated at the moment – June 2017.
The parish Church of St Andrews is a Grade 1 listed building consecrated in 1259 and is situated in a conservation area. The south aisle and tower are 15th Century. The church holds approximately 200. There is some good stained glass and a fine organ which has been the star of a number of fund raising concerts. There is a monument and connection to Augustus Montague Toplady. It is a versatile building in a good state of repair and much visited. The Tower Room – the result of fund raising by the congregation – is useful for small meetings and has washing and heating facilities and the Lady Chapel can also be used as a small meeting/worship area. The church is open every day and a small army of people, many not churchgoers themselves, attend to the myriad of functions that help keep the building in good order and accessible to all. These include a rota for opening and locking the church each day, flower arrangers and church cleaners. Although also benefiting from voluntary work, the regular maintenance and grass cutting of the churchyard is by contract.
The electoral role is currently 26. Congregations are mainly elderly with an average attendance of 17. The schedule of services is varied; Holy Communion on the first (CW) and third (CW) Sundays of the month and lay led services of Morning Praise and All Age Worship on the second and fourth Sundays respectively. On fifth Sundays, the 5 Parishes of the Mission Community come together for a joint service held at the member Parish Churches in rotation.
There is a new Facebook page for the Church community – please click on the link below.
Information on the Listing of St. Andrew’s Church is available here.